Author Question: Why does Austin say, I bit my tongue? What will be an ideal ... (Read 7 times)

silviawilliams41

Why does Austin say, I bit my tongue?

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

How does Ms. Bernstein respond to Billy's erroneous belief that electric begins with the letter L?

What will be an ideal response?

courtney_bruh

Answer to Question 1

He undoubtedly suspects that crying at the drop of a hat is not socially acceptable, especially for boys. Crying about physical pain is more acceptable than crying about emotional matters, and so he is trying to save face in the eyes of his peers.

Answer to Question 2

She provides correct information without making a big deal of his error. In fact, she acknowledges that a lot of children pronounce the word that way, thereby presumably helping Billy save face.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

The Babylonians wrote numbers in a system that used 60 as the base value rather than the number 10. They did not have a symbol for "zero."

Did you know?

The first successful kidney transplant was performed in 1954 and occurred in Boston. A kidney from an identical twin was transplanted into his dying brother's body and was not rejected because it did not appear foreign to his body.

Did you know?

Vaccines cause herd immunity. If the majority of people in a community have been vaccinated against a disease, an unvaccinated person is less likely to get the disease since others are less likely to become sick from it and spread the disease.

Did you know?

Symptoms of kidney problems include a loss of appetite, back pain (which may be sudden and intense), chills, abdominal pain, fluid retention, nausea, the urge to urinate, vomiting, and fever.

Did you know?

Though methadone is often used to treat dependency on other opioids, the drug itself can be abused. Crushing or snorting methadone can achieve the opiate "rush" desired by addicts. Improper use such as these can lead to a dangerous dependency on methadone. This drug now accounts for nearly one-third of opioid-related deaths.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library