Author Question: Use concepts and principles related to self-regulation to develop an alternative approach Ms. ... (Read 20 times)

jon_i

Use concepts and principles related to self-regulation to develop an alternative approach Ms. Stanton might use to help Jefferson acquire more productive classroom behaviors.

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

Describe at least two different strategies Ms. Stanton might use to help Jefferson acquire better social skills.

What will be an ideal response?

gstein359

Answer to Question 1

An approach based on self-regulation might include strategies such as the following:
 First, Ms. Stanton might have Jefferson engage in self-monitoring to help him realize how often he gets out of his seat.
 She might then help him set some concrete, realistic goals for his improvement.
 Next, she could teach him a set of self-questions and self-instructions he might use (e.g., I want to get out of my seat. Do I need to get out of my seat right now? How might I solve my problem without getting out of my seat?).
 She might also have Jefferson award himself a point for every 15-minute period in which he does not get out of his seat

Answer to Question 2

Examples of potentially effective strategies are these:
 Explicitly teach effective ways of initiating conversations with peersfor instance, by asking a question or bringing up a topic of mutual interest.
 Explicitly teach Jefferson how to maintain productive interactionsfor instance, by listening in a warm and friendly way or by offering useful assistance on a difficult task.
 Have Jefferson role-play effective strategies in one-on-one or small-group sessions during lunch or after school.
 Encourage Jefferson to look at his disruptive behaviors from the perspective of classmates who want to complete their classwork in a reasonable time period.