This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: While both indeterminism and libertarianism differ from determinism, how do they also differ from ... (Read 12 times)

newbem

While both indeterminism and libertarianism differ from determinism, how do they also differ from each other?

Need help with this one Anyone good with Philosophy?

Question 2

What did Moritz Schlick mean when he said, If decisions were causeless there would be no sense in trying to influence men ...?

What role did this thought have in his theory of free will?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Hikerman221

Answer to Question 1

Indeterminism holds that your choices, or at least some of your choices, are random and so free. Libertarians are convinced that people are able to make genuinely free choices by exercising their free wills. In practical usage, both views are often included under the general category of Indeterminism.

Answer to Question 2

Schlick agrees with mainstream compatibilists that freedom means the opposite of compulsion: People are free if they do not act under compulsion, and they are compelled or unfree when they are inhibited from without in the realization of their natural desires.
- However, Schlick contends, the feeling of freedom does not say that under exactly the same inner and outer condition we could have willed something else.
- As a result, Schlick's views in this regard accord with determinism, which holds that all human actions are brought about by previous events in accordance with universal causal laws.
- The feeling of responsibility assumes that I acted freely, that my desires impelled me.

newbem

Reply 2 on: Jul 14, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Joy Chen

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Urine turns bright yellow if larger than normal amounts of certain substances are consumed; one of these substances is asparagus.

Did you know?

Alcohol acts as a diuretic. Eight ounces of water is needed to metabolize just 1 ounce of alcohol.

Did you know?

The ratio of hydrogen atoms to oxygen in water (H2O) is 2:1.

Did you know?

Asthma occurs in one in 11 children and in one in 12 adults. African Americans and Latinos have a higher risk for developing asthma than other groups.

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library