Author Question: You are sitting in the workroom of your school with a faculty member who has just said, I got sick ... (Read 29 times)

melly21297

You are sitting in the workroom of your school with a faculty member who has just said, I got sick of the students' continually talking today, so I fixed them. I doubled their homework assignment. I had assigned the odd problems at the end of the section, and now they get to do all the problems.
  You comment courteously, I'm not sure that's a good idea.
  Why not? your colleague retorts. It stopped the talking.
  Using classical conditioning as a basis for your response, explain why using homework as a form of punishment is not a good idea.

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

Operant conditioning is also involved in the case study. Carefully describe the operant conditioning component including an identification of the concepts involved.

What will be an ideal response?

millet

Answer to Question 1

Through classical conditioning, homework, which is initially a neutral stimulus, can become associated with the event of being punished (the UCS). Being punished can cause negative emotions (UCR). Because of homework being associated with punishment, the homework becomes a conditioned stimulus (CS), which produces negative emotions as conditioned responses

Answer to Question 2

When Russell's mother lets him stay home, an aversive event