This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A college professor noticed that one of his students was habitually late to class. Before class ... (Read 89 times)

evelyn o bentley

A college professor noticed that one of his students was habitually late to class. Before class ended for the day, he went around the room asking students some questions about that day's lecture. Of course, he made sure to pick on the tardy student.
  And who was it that developed the theories behind Communism? the professor asked.
  I don't know, came the reply.
  Perhaps if you came to class on time, you would know, said the professor.
  That's not true, the student replied. I can never pay attention anyway

The purpose of the story is

a. to analyze why students are late to class.
  b. to entertain with a story about a professor and a student.
  c. to convince students to have a good excuse when late to class.

The tone of the story is
  a. humorous. b. descriptive. c. sympathetic.

Question 2

Stanley got a job painting the yellow stripes on the highway. His first day he dipped his brush into the bucket and managed to paint an entire mile of yellow lines. The second day he painted half a mile. The third day a quarter of a mile.
  On the fourth day Stanley's boss showed up and asked, How come each day you seem to paint less and less?
  Well, sir, explained Stanley, that's because each day I get farther and farther away from the bucket.

The purpose of the story is

a. to explain how to paint the yellow stripes on the highway.
  b. to evaluate how long it takes to paint yellow stripes on the highway.
  c. to entertain the reader with a story about painting yellow stripes on the highway.

The tone of the story is
  a. instructive. b. amusing. c. explanatory.