This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: I bet I can run faster than you can, bragged Hank to his friend Bill one day. I bet you can't, ... (Read 13 times)

scienceeasy

I bet I can run faster than you can, bragged Hank to his friend Bill one day.
  I bet you can't, replied Bill.
  To prove his point Hank took Bill to the roof of the biggest building in town, nearly 30 stories high. Hank removed his watch and, holding it over the edge of the building let it drop. Quickly, in a whirl of dust, Hank dashed down the steps and moments later, reaching ground level, held out his hand and caught the watch in it.
  Signaling that it was his turn, Bill removed his watch and let it fall. Taking his time, he strolled to the elevator and pushed the button. A few minutes later the elevator appeared and, after stopping at several floors, finally arrived on the first floor. Stepping into the lobby, Bill stopped to get a soda from the vending machine, then calmly walked outside just in time for the watch to drop neatly into his hands.
  Hey, that was amazing remarked Hank. How did you do it?
  Simple, said Bill.

My watch is five minutes slow.

The purpose of the story is
  a. to convince the reader not to make trivial bets.
  b. to argue the wisdom of making trivial bets.
  c. to entertain with a story of two friends making a trivial bet.

The tone of the story is
  a. serious. b. inspirational. c. amusing.

Question 2

The functions of the brain are divided between the left and right hemispheres because the nerve fibers cross over each other at the brain stem; thus, the brain's left hemisphere controls the right half of the body, and vice versa. The areas that control speech, reading, and the ability to solve mathematical problems are located in the left hemisphere, while areas that govern spatial perceptions (the ability to understand shape and form) and the centers of musical and artistic creation reside in the right hemisphere.

The purpose of the paragraph is

a. to inform the reader that musical ability is controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain.
  b. to inform the reader that the left and right hemispheres of the brain control different functions of the body and explain what each control.
  c. to inform the reader that nerve fibers in the brain cross over each other at the brain stem.

The tone of the paragraph is
  a. informative and subjective.
  b. informative and serious.
  c. informative and skeptical.