Author Question: David is trying to calculate the total cost of the groceries in his grocery cart. He has four apples ... (Read 66 times)

kodithompson

David is trying to calculate the total cost of the groceries in his grocery cart. He has four apples for 35 each, five potatoes for 15 each, and three cake mixes for 2.25 each. He begins by thinking to himself, Let's see, four times 35 is what? Two times 35 is 70, and then two times 70 is 1.40 . And then what do I do next? Oh, yes, I need to know what 5 times 15 equals. I can't remember, but let's see if I can figure it out.... From an information processing perspective, David may have difficulty solving the problem because:

a. He is using an inappropriate heuristic.
  b. His working memory capacity may be insufficient to hold and process all the information.
  c. He is encoding the problem incorrectly.
  d. He is demonstrating functional fixedness with regard to his knowledge of multiplication facts.

Question 2

Research indicates that people are more likely to be successful problem solvers in a given subject area when they:

a. pay considerable attention to details
  b. know the subject matter very well
  c. have had extensive training in logical thinking
  d. have already acquired problem-solving expertise in a very different subject area

Silverbeard98

Answer to Question 1

b

Answer to Question 2

b