Author Question: Tim and Sally are two fifth graders who have entered their science projects in an elementary school ... (Read 63 times)

jenna1

Tim and Sally are two fifth graders who have entered their science projects in an elementary school science fair. They both receive blue ribbons on their projects. Considering gender differences in students' explanations for success, how are the two students likely to explain their blue ribbons?

a. Tim will think, I got a ribbon because I'm really good in science. Sally will think, I got a ribbon because I worked really hard on my project.
  b. Tim will attribute his ribbon to his many nights of hard work. Sally will think, I got a ribbon because I'm good in science.
  c. Tim will think that he is lucky when it comes to projects like this. Sally will think that she succeeded because her father is a scientist and she must have inherited his ability.
  d. Tim will think, My project got a ribbon because I had a lot of help from my friends. Sally will think, I got a ribbon because I'm smarter than the other kids.

Question 2

Students have just done well on what was obviously an easy assignment. If their teacher praises them for their success, they are likely to:

a. Exert more effort next time
  b. Have high self-efficacy for academic tasks
  c. Adopt mastery goals rather than performance goals
  d. Conclude that they will have difficulty with more challenging tasks

Dunkey

Answer to Question 1

a

Answer to Question 2

d