This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: What evidence would you present to convince a skeptic that sea level is rising? What will be an ... (Read 12 times)

saraeharris

What evidence would you present to convince a skeptic that sea level is rising?

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

What is the difference between a spring tide and a neap tide? Do spring tides only happen in the spring?

What will be an ideal response?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

cswans24

Answer to Question 1

First, I would concentrate on relevant evidence found along shorelines away from plate boundaries where uplift or subsidence may cause the appearance of sea level change that is not really a global phenomenon. I would also avoid locations near river deltas where sediment accumulation may cause a local building out of the shoreline that gives the impression of a sea-level fall.
Concentrating on locations that meet these requirements, I would use tide-gage data to identify long-term trends of sea-level change (unaffected by year-to-year weather conditions) and find historic photographs of shorelines that I could compare to what the shoreline looks like today.

Answer to Question 2

A spring tide occurs when the gravitational pulls of the Sun and Moon are parallel and reinforce one another to produce the highest tidal range. The neap tide occurs when the gravitational pulls of the Sun and Moon are perpendicular and partially cancel one another to produce the lowest tidal range. A spring tide coincides with each full Moon and each new Moon, so spring tides occur about twice each month throughout the year and not just during the spring season.

saraeharris

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
Gracias!

irishcancer18

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

Multiple sclerosis is a condition wherein the body's nervous system is weakened by an autoimmune reaction that attacks the myelin sheaths of neurons.

Did you know?

Amoebae are the simplest type of protozoans, and are characterized by a feeding and dividing trophozoite stage that moves by temporary extensions called pseudopodia or false feet.

Did you know?

Women are two-thirds more likely than men to develop irritable bowel syndrome. This may be attributable to hormonal changes related to their menstrual cycles.

Did you know?

The heart is located in the center of the chest, with part of it tipped slightly so that it taps against the left side of the chest.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library