Author Question: Mrs. Beasley says, I just don't understand why Hongru failed his exam. When we're in class, and I'm ... (Read 23 times)

viki

Mrs. Beasley says, I just don't understand why Hongru failed his exam. When we're in class, and I'm talking, he is obviously paying attention, and he nods all the time, as though he's really with' me. But he made a poor grade on the test, and his homework has been incomplete and incorrect. Your response, given what you know about students from some Asian cultures, is to say,

a. In some cultures, nodding doesn't mean I get it,'  it simply means, I'm paying attention.'
  b. Hongru probably is pretending to be interested and attentive so you'll like him.
  c. Maybe he has a learning disability. In fact, maybe he doesn't even know what you're saying, but doesn't want to admit it.
  d. I bet he's just a really poor test taker, and the fact that he doesn't do the homework regularly makes it worse.

Question 2

Which of the following behaviors is least associated with the process of active listening?

a. The listener acknowledges the speaker's statement with effective eye contact and appropriate brief verbal responses (nodding, saying, I see).
  b. The listener restates, in his/her own words, what the speaker has said, being particularly careful to express the speaker's feelings and ideas.
  c. The listener avoids making evaluative statements or judgments about the content shared by the speaker.
  d. The listener waits until the speaker is finished speaking and then suggests a solution to the problem or a next step for implementation of the speaker's ideas.

wilsonbho

Answer to Question 1

a

Answer to Question 2

d