Author Question: Which of the following factors influence the delivered tidal volume during jet ventilation? I. mean ... (Read 24 times)

fnuegbu

Which of the following factors influence the delivered tidal volume during jet ventilation? I. mean airway pressure II. injector diameter III. endotracheal tube size IV. drive pressure

A. I, IV only
  B. II, III only
  C. I, II, III only
  D. I, III, IV only

Question 2

According to the author, what respiratory rates constitute high-frequency ventilation for adults, and neonatal and pediatric patients?

A. adults  30 breaths/min; neonatal/pediatric  50 breaths/min
  B. adults  50 breaths/min; neonatal/pediatric  100 breaths/min
  C. adults  100 breaths/min; neonatal/pediatric  300 breaths/min
  D. adults  300 breaths/min; neonatal/pediatric  500 breaths/min

lkanara2

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
A. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
D. Correct response: With HFJV, the therapist has control over the respiratory rate, inspiratory time, jet drive pressure, and expiratory pressure. Ultimately, however, the delivered jet Vt depends on a number of factors, including (1) the drive pressure, (2) injector diameter, (3) inspiratory time, (4) ETT size, (5) presence of an entrainment gas, and (6) the development of auto-PEEP.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
A. Incorrect response; See explanation D.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
D. Correct response: According to the author, HFV is defined as a respiratory rate greater than 100 breaths/min for adults, and greater than 300 breaths/min for neonatal and pediatric patients.