This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following factors are predictors of success of NPPV? I. intact neurologic function II. ... (Read 19 times)

RYAN BANYAN

Which of the following factors are predictors of success of NPPV? I. intact neurologic function II. APACHE II score greater than 30 III. pH of 7.25 or less IV. intact dentition

A. I, IV only
  B. II, III only
  C. I, II, III only
  D. II, III, IV only

Question 2

Based on clinical data, which of the following therapeutic interventions would be most beneficial for COPD patients who develop respiratory failure after extubation?

A. NPPV
  B. spontaneous breathing trial
  C. O2 therapy with a non-rebreather mask
  D. reintubation and invasive positive-pressure ventilation

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mirabriestensky

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A (page 371)
Cognitive Level: Recall
A. Correct response: Selection of appropriate patients for NPPV is critical for optimizing success rates and deriving benefits. The following factors are predictors of success of NPPV used for the treatment of acute respiratory failure:
  Cooperative patient
  Intact neurologic function
  Synchrony with the ventilator
  APACHE II score <29
  pH >7.25
  Intact dentition
  Well-controlled air leaking
  Able to control secretions
  Within first 2 hours of using NPPV
 o Reduced respiratory rate (>30 breaths/min)
 o Reduced accessory muscle use
 o Improved gas exchange (increasing Pao2/Fio2 )
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A (page 369)
Cognitive Level: Application
A. Correct response: Patients who develop respiratory failure after extubation according to standard criteria are at high risk for morbidity and have mortality rates up to 40. NPPV has been suggested as a treatment to avoid reintubation and to improve outcomes. Studies comparing NPPV and standard O2 therapy found no reduction in reintubation attributable to NPPV. One study even found a significantly increased ICU mortality in the NPPV group. However, studies seem to indicate that for patients who have either COPD or congestive heart failure, NPPV reduces the need for postextubation reintubation respiratory failure. Forty percent to 50 of patients in these trials had COPD or CHF, and in one study most of the benefit was attributable to the COPD subgroup. Early indiscriminate use of NPPV in patients who have risk factors for extubation failure, but do not meet standard criteria for NPPV initiation is discouraged.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A.

RYAN BANYAN

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
Excellent

lindahyatt42

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

All adverse reactions are commonly charted in red ink in the patient's record and usually are noted on the front of the chart. Failure to follow correct documentation procedures may result in malpractice lawsuits.

Did you know?

The familiar sounds of your heart are made by the heart's valves as they open and close.

Did you know?

In most climates, 8 to 10 glasses of water per day is recommended for adults. The best indicator for adequate fluid intake is frequent, clear urination.

Did you know?

The average older adult in the United States takes five prescription drugs per day. Half of these drugs contain a sedative. Alcohol should therefore be avoided by most senior citizens because of the dangerous interactions between alcohol and sedatives.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library