This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: What is the role of postextubation NPPV for patients with COPD exacerbations who are intubated ... (Read 17 times)

lidoalex

What is the role of postextubation NPPV for patients with COPD exacerbations who are intubated because they were not initially candidates for NPPV? I. earlier extubation to NPPV II. reduced incidence of nosocomial infection III. decreased length of stay in hospital IV. shortened duration of positive-pressure mechanical ventilation

A. I. only
  B. II, III only
  C. I, III, IV only
  D. I, II, III, IV only

Question 2

Which of the following safety features are desirable on a transport ventilator? I. Battery-powered ventilators should be equipped with a low battery signal. II. Loss of O2 power alert should be available. III. A high inspiratory flow signal should be an available feature. IV. An alarm that indicates an inadvertent alteration of ventilation mode is needed.

A. I, II only
  B. II, III only
  C. I, III, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ndhahbi

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D (page 367)
Cognitive Level: Recall
A. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
D. Correct response: When patients with COPD exacerbations are intubated because they are not candidates for NPPV initially or because they fail a trial of NPPV, multiple studies have demonstrated that NPPV can be used to permit earlier extubation, even if these patients have failed multiple T-piece weaning trials. Early extubation to NPPV increases eventual weaning rate, shortens the duration of ventilator use and hospital length of stay, reduces the occurrence of nosocomial infection, and reduces mortality.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
A. Correct response: The number and complexity of safety devices are limited by the small size of transport ventilators. A high-pressure relief valve that vents gas into the atmosphere at a preselected PIP is essential. Activation of the high-pressure limit should be signaled by a visual or audible alarm to alert the operator. An antiasphyxia valve that allows the patient to breathe from ambient air in the event of gas source failure is also desirable. Battery powered ventilators should be equipped with a low battery signal that indicates 1 hour of power remains. Loss of O2 power to the ventilator also should have an audible or visual alarm.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A

Did you know?

The first successful kidney transplant was performed in 1954 and occurred in Boston. A kidney from an identical twin was transplanted into his dying brother's body and was not rejected because it did not appear foreign to his body.

Did you know?

Patients who have been on total parenteral nutrition for more than a few days may need to have foods gradually reintroduced to give the digestive tract time to start working again.

Did you know?

Asthma cases in Americans are about 75% higher today than they were in 1980.

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

The average adult has about 21 square feet of skin.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library