This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following procedure or activities can cause an increased intracranial pressure? I. ... (Read 20 times)

CORALGRILL2014

Which of the following procedure or activities can cause an increased intracranial pressure? I. obtaining an arterial blood sample from an arterial line II. increasing the delivered Fio2 III. endotracheal suctioning IV. airway manipulation

A. I, IV only
  B. III, IV only
  C. I, III, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

Question 2

In which of the following orientations should a patient with TBI be positioned?

A. positioned with head elevated 30 degrees
  B. supine position
  C. prone position
  D. Fowler's position

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

flannelavenger

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
A. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
B. Correct response: Positive-pressure ventilation can have a detrimental effect on the CPP if the ventilatory strategies lead to either a rise in ICP or a drop in MAP. Performing endotracheal suctioning, coughing, and manipulating airway pressure can induce a rise in ICP. Positive-pressure ventilation and PEEP tend to decrease venous return to the right ventricle, which can lead to a decrease in the MAP.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation B.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
A. Correct response: As with all mechanically ventilated patients, the head of the bed should be maintained at an elevation of 30 degrees, not only to minimize aspiration, but also to facilitate venous drainage in this patient population. Other measures used to avoid venous congestion include keeping a midline head position, avoidance of internal jugular catheters if possible, and ensuring that cervical collars, if present, are not too constrictive.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A

CORALGRILL2014

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

kalskdjl1212

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Most fungi that pathogenically affect humans live in soil. If a person is not healthy, has an open wound, or is immunocompromised, a fungal infection can be very aggressive.

Did you know?

All adults should have their cholesterol levels checked once every 5 years. During 2009–2010, 69.4% of Americans age 20 and older reported having their cholesterol checked within the last five years.

Did you know?

Women are two-thirds more likely than men to develop irritable bowel syndrome. This may be attributable to hormonal changes related to their menstrual cycles.

Did you know?

Sperm cells are so tiny that 400 to 500 million (400,000,000–500,000,000) of them fit onto 1 tsp.

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library