This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following pathophysiologic conditions are considered as mediators of secondary brain ... (Read 8 times)

K@

Which of the following pathophysiologic conditions are considered as mediators of secondary brain injury in the presence of traumatic brain injury? I. elevated intracranial pressure II. hyperglycemia III. hypoglycemia IV. hypotension

A. I, II only
  B. I, III only
  C. II, III, IV only
  D. I, II, III, IV only

Question 2

Which of the following conditions are responsible for the development of respiratory failure in patients who develop this condition from traumatic brain injury? I. interstitial lung disease II. neurogenic pulmonary edema III. acute respiratory distress syndrome IV. neurogenic pleural effusion

A. I, II only
  B. II, III only
  C. I, III, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kjo;oj

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
A. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
D. Correct response: The following conditions are secondary mediators of brain injury in the presence of traumatic brain injury:
  Hypoxia
  Hypotension
  Hypercarbia or hypocarbia
  Hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia
  Elevated intracranial pressure
  Hyperpyrexia
Traumatic brain injury is characterized by primary irreversible injury from the initial insult, and the potential for secondary injury related to physiologic abnormalities and nosocomial complications often seen in critically ill patients.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
A. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
B. Correct response: Patients with TBI may have associated respiratory failure in 25 to 50 of the cases from causes such as:
  Direct chest trauma
  Neurogenic pulmonary edema
  Aspiration
  Acute respiratory distress syndrome
  Ventilator associated pneumonia
C. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation B.

K@

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
Gracias!

Perkypinki

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

For pediatric patients, intravenous fluids are the most commonly cited products involved in medication errors that are reported to the USP.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

Congestive heart failure is a serious disorder that carries a reduced life expectancy. Heart failure is usually a chronic illness, and it may worsen with infection or other physical stressors.

Did you know?

A recent study has found that following a diet rich in berries may slow down the aging process of the brain. This diet apparently helps to keep dopamine levels much higher than are seen in normal individuals who do not eat berries as a regular part of their diet as they enter their later years.

Did you know?

Chronic necrotizing aspergillosis has a slowly progressive process that, unlike invasive aspergillosis, does not spread to other organ systems or the blood vessels. It most often affects middle-aged and elderly individuals, spreading to surrounding tissue in the lungs. The disease often does not respond to conventionally successful treatments, and requires individualized therapies in order to keep it from becoming life-threatening.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library