This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following physiologic changes would the therapist expect a patient to experience as a ... (Read 10 times)

mcmcdaniel

Which of the following physiologic changes would the therapist expect a patient to experience as a result of being mechanically ventilated with positive pressure? I. increased right ventricular afterload II. decreased left ventricular afterload III. decreased pulmonary vascular resistance IV. increased systemic vascular resistance

A. I, II only
  B. I, III only
  C. II, IV only
  D. III, IV only

Question 2

How do the positive and negative effects of positive-pressure ventilation (PPV) on stroke volume influence the pulse pressure of a fully hypervolemic patient receiving mechanical ventilation? The pulse pressure will ___________________ .

A. increase
  B. decrease
  C. remain constant
  D. fluctuate significantly

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

AaaA

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
A. Correct response: For a relaxed patient receiving a positive-pressure breath, nearly all of the individual mechanical effects are invoked with each inspiration. Pleural pressure increases would tend to (1) decrease venous return, (2) decrease left ventricular afterload, (3) increase lung volume, (4) increase right ventricular afterload, (5) increase pulmonary vascular resistance, and (6) increase or decrease blood flow into the left atrium depending on the overall fluid volume status.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
A. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
C. Correct response: In patients who are fully volume replete or hypervolemic, positive and negative effects of ventilation on stroke volume tend to balance each other, so that the pulse pressure remains relatively constant.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation C

mcmcdaniel

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

at

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid originally extracted from a type of saffron plant that is used mainly to treat gout.

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

Did you know?

Symptoms of kidney problems include a loss of appetite, back pain (which may be sudden and intense), chills, abdominal pain, fluid retention, nausea, the urge to urinate, vomiting, and fever.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library