This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The therapist desires to mechanically ventilate a patient with a mode that provides an increased I:E ... (Read 19 times)

xclash

The therapist desires to mechanically ventilate a patient with a mode that provides an increased I:E ratio, encourages spontaneous breathing, and lowers pressure fluctuations as tidal volume is delivered. Which of the following modes would be appropriate?

A. pressure-regulated volume control ventilation
  B. inverse ratio ventilation
  C. airway pressure release ventilation
  D. synchronized intermittent mandatory ventilation

Question 2

What are the physiologic benefits of maintaining alveolar recruitment? I. Recruited alveoli improve ventilationperfusio n matching. II. Transpulmonary pressure decreases. III. The surfactant monolayer does not require repeated reconstruction during ventilation. IV. Pulmonary compliance decreases.

A. I, II only
  B. I, III only
  C. I, II, III only
  D. II, III, IV only

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

matt95

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
A. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
C. Correct response: Airway pressure release ventilation (APRV) involves the use of long I:E ratios, less variation from in the delivered VT from breath to breath, and a spontaneously breathing patient. In addition to the recruitment effects cause by the long I:E ratios, the required spontaneously breathing has been shown to better distribute ventilation to dependent lung regions, thereby improving ventilation-perfusion relationships.
D. Incorrect response: See Explanation C.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
A. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
B. Correct response: Maintaining alveolar recruitment provides several benefits. They include: (1) recruited alveoli improve ventilationperfusio n matching and gas exchange, (2) recruited alveoli appear to have less risk of injury from shear stress from repeated opening and closing, and (3) recruited alveoli do not have to repeatedly construct the surfactant monolayer, thus improving lung compliance.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation B.

xclash

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

smrtceo

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

Did you know?

Eating carrots will improve your eyesight. Carrots are high in vitamin A (retinol), which is essential for good vision. It can also be found in milk, cheese, egg yolks, and liver.

Did you know?

People with high total cholesterol have about two times the risk for heart disease as people with ideal levels.

Did you know?

Egg cells are about the size of a grain of sand. They are formed inside of a female's ovaries before she is even born.

Did you know?

The horizontal fraction bar was introduced by the Arabs.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library