This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: In administering intermittent positive-pressure breathing therapy, which of the following breath-ing ... (Read 47 times)

Jipu 123

In administering intermittent positive-pressure breathing therapy, which of the following breath-ing patterns would be most desirable?

a. 6 to 8 breaths/min, inspiration/expiration ratio (I:E) of 1:3
  b. 8 to 10 breaths/min, I:E of 1:1
  c. 12 to 15 breaths/min, I:E of 1:2
  d. 6 to 8 breaths/min, I:E of 1:1

Question 2

Which of the following are appropriate volume goals for intermittent positive-pressure breathing (IPPB) therapy?

1. 10 to 15 ml/kg ideal body weight
  2. At least 30 of the inspiratory capacity (IC)
  3. Pressure level as high as 30 to 35 cm H2O
  a. 1 and 3 only
  b. 1 and 2 only
  c. 2 and 3 only
  d. 1 only

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

anyusername12131

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Generally, the goal is to establish a breathing pattern consisting of approximately 6 breaths/min, with an expiratory time of at least 3 to 4 times longer than inspiration (I:E ratio of 1:3 to 1:4 or lower).

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Most clinical centers strive to achieve an IPPB tidal volume of 10 to 15 ml/kg of body weight or at least 30 of the patient's predicted IC. If the initial volumes fall short of this goal and the pa-tient can tolerate it, the pressure is gradually raised until the goal is achieved. Pressures as high as 30 to 35 cm H2O may be needed to achieve this end when lung compliance is reduced.

Jipu 123

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
Excellent

ghepp

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Certain rare plants containing cyanide include apricot pits and a type of potato called cassava. Fortunately, only chronic or massive ingestion of any of these plants can lead to serious poisoning.

Did you know?

Only 12 hours after an egg cell is fertilized by a sperm cell, the egg cell starts to divide. As it continues to divide, it moves along the fallopian tube toward the uterus at about 1 inch per day.

Did you know?

Less than one of every three adults with high LDL cholesterol has the condition under control. Only 48.1% with the condition are being treated for it.

Did you know?

Illness; diuretics; laxative abuse; hot weather; exercise; sweating; caffeine; alcoholic beverages; starvation diets; inadequate carbohydrate consumption; and diets high in protein, salt, or fiber can cause people to become dehydrated.

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library