This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Ms. Bancel teaches in an extremely diverse, low-wealth school system. She sits down in the teacher's ... (Read 31 times)

kshipps

Ms. Bancel teaches in an extremely diverse, low-wealth school system. She sits down in the teacher's lounge with a sigh. I give up. I tried using problem solving with my class, and it just doesn't work. I took 15 minutes today to introduce it so I could use it to address the amount of time students are out of their seats. They couldn't generate the plan at all, so I gave them some options, and they all agreed on onebut their behavior didn't change at all. So I just punished the entire class. How frustrating All but which of the following statements are likely true in this situation?

a. Ms. Bancel should plan to give the strategy some time, because it's new to students and they need time to learn and practice it.
  b. Ms. Bancel should invest more time up front, teaching the students the specific steps in the problem-solving process and practicing them.
  c. Ms. Bancel should avoid the use of problem solving because the process is generally less effective with students from very diverse backgrounds.
  d. Ms. Bancel should reconsider the use of punishment as a response to situations like this in the future.

Question 2

First and foremost, interventions such as self-monitoring, self-instruction, and behavioral contracting are presented by the authors as ways to

a. curtail inappropriate behavior that is of limited scope and duration.
  b. increase the student's feelings of competence and self-control.
  c. decrease environmental stimuli that may be contributing to inappropriate behavior.
  d. provide evidence of the teacher's efforts to maintain a learning environment in which diversity is valued.