Author Question: The nurse is working in the outpatient clinic when a patient who has been waiting to be seen for an ... (Read 26 times)

sabina

The nurse is working in the outpatient clinic when a patient who has been waiting to be seen for an hour yells, What are you people doing? I'm sick and tired of waiting Which of the follow-ing is the most therapeutic response, if made by the

nurse? a. The doctor can only do so much.
  b. Would you like a magazine?
  c. I can see that you are frustrated.
  d. You need to be quiet

Question 2

Which of the following statements, if made by the nurse, is an example of a communication technique that can facilitate communication?

a. Yes, I agree with you.
  b. You need to talk to your doctor.
  c. I know just how you feel.
  d. What are you thinking about?

dominiqueenicolee

Answer to Question 1

C
Acknowledging the patient's frustration indicates that the nurse is listening and that the message has been received. Option a is defensive and minimizes the patient's issue. Option b is a change of subject and is likely to further irritate the patient. Option d is a total disregard for the patient's frustration.

Answer to Question 2

D
Using open-ended questions are more likely to facilitate communication. Options a and b are not therapeutic communication techniques. Option c is never therapeutic. No one can say how another person feels.