This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The licensed practical/vocational nurse (LP/VN) is informed at a staff meeting that the hospital ... (Read 26 times)

chads108

The licensed practical/vocational nurse (LP/VN) is informed at a staff meeting that the hospital plans on cross training the LP/VNs to draw the blood specimens and perform the electrocardiograms (ECGs).

The state nurse practice act permits the additional tasks through cross training. Which question is the most important question the LP/VN should ask at this meeting?
  A) What is happening to the phlebotomists and ECG technician's positions? Will they still be around?
  B) What training will be provided to ensure that the nurses performing the skills are competent and have the necessary knowledge to practice safely?
  C) Will the LP/VNs receive additional pay compensation for the additional skills we provide for the hospital?
  D) What happens if I cannot learn the skills or perform them proficiently? Is there another unit I can work and not perform the skills?

Question 2

A licensed practical/vocational nurse (LP/VN) suffered a back injury and is working while taking prescription narcotic analgesics.

A coworker noticed that the impaired nurse is risking clients care because of altered judgment and has a crucial conversation with the nurse. The nurse chooses to enter a voluntary recovery program with the state board of nursing. Which statement made by the nurse seeking recovery needs further clarification by the coworker helping the nurse to enroll into the program?
  A) I will sign an agreement with the board of nursing to voluntarily be monitored for using any narcotics the next 3 years.
  B) I will enter a drug treatment program approved by the state board of nursing and complete it and the rehab portion of the treatment.
  C) I will not work in the hospital until I meet the requirements of the state board of nursing for treatment and rehab.
  D) I will lose my license and I will need to go through nursing school again after completing the program.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jsm54321

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B
The most important question to ask should include the training needs of performance of the skill, psychomotor training, and the knowledge necessary to make competent decisions. The safety of the clients should be the top concern of the nurse in this situation. The other questions deal with less important priorities: concern for other staff member's employment; a request for additional compensation because of the increased workload; and acquiring knowledge about what happens to employment if the nurse is unable to master the skill.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: D
All of the boards of nursing disciplinary treatment programs offer rehabilitation and the nurse signs an agreement to voluntarily accept the help and to abide by the requirements set forth by the state board of nursing. If the nurse successfully completes a treatment program, there is no loss of license, so the coworker needs to clarify the statement about losing licensure and going back to nursing school. Most programs initially prohibit working for a period of time, and if the nurse complies with the treatment program, in most states, there is no record. The coworker in this scenario best serves the safety of the clients by removing the nurse from caring for the clients while impaired.

chads108

Reply 2 on: Jul 17, 2018
Wow, this really help

6ana001

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Bacteria have been found alive in a lake buried one half mile under ice in Antarctica.

Did you know?

The average older adult in the United States takes five prescription drugs per day. Half of these drugs contain a sedative. Alcohol should therefore be avoided by most senior citizens because of the dangerous interactions between alcohol and sedatives.

Did you know?

Over time, chronic hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus infections can progress to advanced liver disease, liver failure, and hepatocellular carcinoma. Unlike other forms, more than 80% of hepatitis C infections become chronic and lead to liver disease. When combined with hepatitis B, hepatitis C now accounts for 75% percent of all cases of liver disease around the world. Liver failure caused by hepatitis C is now leading cause of liver transplants in the United States.

Did you know?

It is difficult to obtain enough calcium without consuming milk or other dairy foods.

Did you know?

The most destructive flu epidemic of all times in recorded history occurred in 1918, with approximately 20 million deaths worldwide.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library