Author Question: An experienced licensed practical/vocational nurse (LP/VN) is sitting at the nurse's station ... (Read 19 times)

Capo

An experienced licensed practical/vocational nurse (LP/VN) is sitting at the nurse's station charting. A newly hired LP/VN also sits down at the station to chart.

A physician approaches the new nurse stating, You are the stupidest nurse I have ever seen; I can't believe they gave you a license. The new hire begins to cry and the physician continues to yell about various issues. The new hire runs to the bathroom. The best next action the experienced LP/VN should provide is to:
  A) not interfere because the conflict does not involve her, and the nurse that has the conflict should resolve it.
  B) ask the physician to meet privately and discuss the behaviors seen and ask that the conflict be handled professionally.
  C) report the situation to the nurse manager, and file an incident report, and go see if the nurse is alright.
  D) agree with the physician that they are not hiring competent nurses, and ask what he needs to help resolve the issues.

Question 2

A licensed practical/vocational nurse (LP/VN) is frustrated that the physician rounding with resident physicians makes distasteful comments in front of the clients. The LP/VN should provide which statement to be assertive with the physician?

A) When the physician is rounding in a client's room, You have no right to talk to a client that way.
  B) Right after the physician makes a distasteful comment, You will pay for that comment because I will be the witness for the client when she sues you.
  C) Doctor, I would like to talk with you about a situation in the private conference room, as soon as possible. And then discuss the matter with the physician in the conference room.
  D) Under her breathe in the back of the room of a client, Please stop saying those things, doctor. And hope he hears and will stop.

laurnthompson

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B
The LP/VN as a team member should help the new nurse by assertively and privately talking to the physician about the behaviors seen, and that the conflict between the physician and the nurse needs to be handled in an assertive, professional manner. Although the conflict is between the new nurse and the physician, the new nurse is exhibiting passive behaviors avoiding the conflict by running to the bathroom. Since the conflict occurred in the presence of the more experienced nurse, it also involves her need to support her team member. Reporting the situation, writing an incident report, and checking on the new nurse do not solve the conflict. Agreeing with the physician and asking him what he needs does not solve the conflict and may make it worse. The action does not support the team member either.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: C
The LP/VN should provide the assertion without involving the residents or the client by stating that there is a situation to discuss privately as soon as possible. Assertive statements have I involved and ask that the nurse's rights are valued, but not at the expense of others rights. Once alone with the physician in the conference room, the nurse should follow-up with another assertive statement, such as, Doctor, I am frustrated that you have made distasteful comments in front of the client and in front of your residents, such as 'This is the fat lady who ate her way into a gallbladder attack.' I would appreciate it if you would stop making distasteful comments in the future. Answers A and B are aggressive and are pushy or hostile in tone. Answer D is passive in tone and the nurse is trying to avoid the conflict by hoping the physician may hear the message and change.