This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The charge nurse assigns a client requiring peritoneal dialysis (PD) to a new graduate licensed ... (Read 11 times)

gbarreiro

The charge nurse assigns a client requiring peritoneal dialysis (PD) to a new graduate licensed practical/vocational nurse. The new nurse informed the charge nurse that he was not comfortable with providing PD.

The charge nurse stated that she would show him how to perform the PD, and then he could perform the task since she delegated the task. The nurse wants to avoid respondeat superior. Which action should the nurse do?
  A) Inform the charge nurse that he must abide by the state nurse practice act, which states he must first take classes on peritoneal dialysis, so he must decline.
  B) Perform the PD after the nurse teaches him how to perform the procedure to keep from getting in trouble for not obeying his superior.
  C) Provide the PD as the nurse delegates because the charge nurse becomes fully responsible for any task that is delegated.
  D) Perform the PD with charge nurse present, so the charge nurse charts and takes full responsibility for the care delivered.

Question 2

A licensed practical/vocational nurse was presenting a seminar on ways to prevent malpractice claims to a group of new hires.

The nurse asked the new hires to identify the one thing that they had learned and planned on using in practice. Which statement requires further clarification by the nurse leading the seminar?
  A) I need to make a true self-assessment of areas I am competent in nursing and provide care based upon my strengths.
  B) I should refuse an assignment I do not feel I am adequately trained or prepared to handle.
  C) I should document what is supposed to be done according to the institutional standards of care to prevent malpractice suits.
  D) I need to keep up to date on any institutional changes in policies and procedures.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Sweetkitty24130

Answer to Question 1

Ans: A
The new graduate nurse must practice under his state nursing practice act, and if that act states that he must complete classes and formal training before providing PD, then he must decline to prevent respondeat superior, which happens when a nurse acts under the order of a superior resulting in harm to a client, then both the nurse following the order, and the one in charge giving the order are responsible. Performing the PD after the charge nurse in-services the nurse at the bedside is against the law, the particular state nurse practice act. The charge nurse delegating a task must ensure that the task is appropriate, and that the one she is delegating the task to is fully capable to perform the task competently. The one who receives a delegation request must refuse to perform a task that he is not fully prepared and competent to perform. In this instance, both parties would be responsible since the delegation is inappropriate. Performing the PD in the presence of the charge nurse and the charge nurse charting the care is also illegal and unethical.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: C
The nurse needs to clarify that the nurse should document the care provided, and that care should be carried out following the institution's standards of care. The statement made by the new hire suggests that the new hire will document what is supposed to be done, but provide care that may not meet the standards of care. The other three statements made by new hires reflect activities to help prevent a malpractice claim.

gbarreiro

Reply 2 on: Jul 17, 2018
:D TYSM

peter

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The first successful kidney transplant was performed in 1954 and occurred in Boston. A kidney from an identical twin was transplanted into his dying brother's body and was not rejected because it did not appear foreign to his body.

Did you know?

If you could remove all of your skin, it would weigh up to 5 pounds.

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

Did you know?

The top five reasons that children stay home from school are as follows: colds, stomach flu (gastroenteritis), ear infection (otitis media), pink eye (conjunctivitis), and sore throat.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library