This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The licensed practical/vocational nurse is caring for a client frequently admitted for constant ... (Read 84 times)

savannahhooper

The licensed practical/vocational nurse is caring for a client frequently admitted for constant stabbing pain in her lower back, rated 8 out of 10 on a pain scale. Diagnostic testing reveals no treatable back issues.

The physician prescribes a placebo (a substance that has no therapeutic effect to comfort the client). The physician wants the nurse to administer normal saline in a syringe that will look like the narcotic because he does not believe the client's pain is real. The nurse believes this is an ethical dilemma because is it right or wrong to administer a placebo and lie to the client that it is the narcotic the client requested for her pain. The nurse believes that pain is what the client says it is. Which is the best action for the nurse to take?
  A) Administer the placebo, but don't say what it is, and if the client remains in pain within 15 minutes, and then administer the narcotic analgesic as ordered and report the findings to the physician
  B) Ignore the physician's order and continue to administer the narcotic analgesic as ordered previously
  C) Inform the physician that he has an issue with administering the placebo because he feels it is unethical and ask if it would be best served to refer the client to a chronic pain management clinic
  D) Inform the nursing supervisor of the physician's unethical behavior, and ask what to do in the situation

Question 2

The nursing student was so excited about her first day of clinical on the maternity unit at the hospital and wanted to tell her friends on social media about her experience, so she posted information about her client. She posted the following:

Today I cared for one of my neighbors who had a baby girl, so adorable, weighing 6 pounds 5 ounces, and mom has a huge episiotomy-ouch One of the other nursing students saw the post and informed the instructor. The student quickly removed the post and blocked everyone from seeing the site. The nursing instructor confronted the student about the event. Which statement demonstrates personal accountability?
  A) I can show you what I posted, and I meant nothing by it and when the other student told me that I should not post anything about clients because people reading the site may figure out who the person is, I quickly removed the post and shut the social site down; I will never post or talk about anything at clinical again.
  B) I don't agree that there is anything wrong with posting items when there is no name mentioned or the name of the hospital, and our school has clinical at several area hospitals, and my neighborhood has at least four mothers who delivered that day, but since the other student made a big deal out of it, I removed it and shut down the social site; do you want to see the post?
  C) I never posted anything about my clinical because I know there is a rule against such action, and I don't even have a social media site; I don't know what you heard, but I believe someone is jealous and trying to frame me because I am a great nursing student and love my clients and what I do.
  D) I am so sorry, and I did not know it was wrong to post anything, but the other student showed me the policy our school has on social media, and I quickly removed the post and shut down the social site, but I believe it is wrong for the other student to go to you instead of just me because I handled the situation, so she needs to learn about accountability.