This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: When collecting data, which question provides the best understanding of the patient's culturally ... (Read 17 times)

jessicacav

When collecting data, which question provides the best understanding of the patient's culturally determined food patterns and assists with developing a culturally competent care plan?

a. What effect will hospitalization have on your family?
  b. What religious practices are important in your life?
  c. Do you use food to maintain health or treat illness?
  d. Describe the role of children in your family.

Question 2

Data collection suggests that a patient's health beliefs are personalistic. Which statement by the patient would the nurse determine as consistent with personalistic health beliefs?

a. Please call my physician for me so I can discuss my symptoms.
  b. I would like to wear the amulet that's in my bedside stand.
  c. X-rays will find the cause of my back pain.
  d. I hope the doctor will recommend surgery.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

laurnthompson

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Although each of the questions is appropriate to ask in order to increase understanding of cultural diversity, only one relates to food patterns.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Personalistic health beliefs suggest that illness is caused by magical powers and is cured by rituals. Wearing amulets offers protection from illness and may sometimes be considered curative. The other statements are consistent with beliefs in biomedicine.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

Your skin wrinkles if you stay in the bathtub a long time because the outermost layer of skin (which consists of dead keratin) swells when it absorbs water. It is tightly attached to the skin below it, so it compensates for the increased area by wrinkling. This happens to the hands and feet because they have the thickest layer of dead keratin cells.

Did you know?

Over time, chronic hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus infections can progress to advanced liver disease, liver failure, and hepatocellular carcinoma. Unlike other forms, more than 80% of hepatitis C infections become chronic and lead to liver disease. When combined with hepatitis B, hepatitis C now accounts for 75% percent of all cases of liver disease around the world. Liver failure caused by hepatitis C is now leading cause of liver transplants in the United States.

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

Did you know?

The newest statin drug, rosuvastatin, has been called a superstatin because it appears to reduce LDL cholesterol to a greater degree than the other approved statin drugs.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library