This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A staff nurse enters the room in which you're giving care to a patient in traction. She calls you ... (Read 20 times)

kellyjaisingh

A staff nurse enters the room in which you're giving care to a patient in traction. She calls you aside and states, I've watched you all morning. You don't seem to know how to do anything right. Look at you now

You're bathing the patient and it's almost time for lunch. An assertive approach would be to say

a. You're right. I am still bathing the patient. She was in pain earlier. I waited until her narcotic made her more comfortable.
  b. I'm sorry you think I give poor care. I'm still pretty new, and I'm trying hard to learn.
  c. I've watched you, too. You've criticized every student. Is this some game you play?
  d. I hope you won't report this to my instructor.

Question 2

A nursing student's mother states, I need you to watch your younger siblings while I play bingo. The nursing student had planned to prepare for a unit examination. An assertive approach would be to say

a. What you're asking isn't fair. I have an exam to study for. You never win at bingo anyway.
  b. OK. If your bingo means more to you than my passing a big exam, I'll watch the kids.
  c. I'll make a deal with you. I'll watch the kids if you'll cook my favorite meal tomorrow night.
  d. I'm sorry, but I won't be able to babysit. I have an exam tomorrow. I need the time tonight to study.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

EAN94

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Saying You're right. I am still bathing the patient. She was in pain earlier. I waited until her narcotic made her more comfortable, assertively tells the staff nurse that the student has used critical thinking in arriving at a course of action. The statement I'm sorry you think I give poor care. I'm still pretty new, and I'm trying hard to learn is passive. Stating I've watched you , too. You've criticized every student. Is this some game you play? is aggressive. Stating I hope you won't report this to my instructor is passive.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Telling the mother, I'm sorry, but I won't be able to babysit. I have an exam tomorrow. I need the time tonight to study, is honest and protects the nursing student's rights. Stating What you're asking isn't fair. I have an exam to study for. You never win at bingo anyway is aggressive. The statement OK. If your bingo means more to you than my passing a big exam, I'll watch the kids is passive aggressive. I'll make a deal with you. I'll watch the kids if you'll cook my favorite meal tomorrow night is manipulative.

kellyjaisingh

Reply 2 on: Jul 17, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

kthug

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

Did you know?

A good example of polar molecules can be understood when trying to make a cake. If water and oil are required, they will not mix together. If you put them into a measuring cup, the oil will rise to the top while the water remains on the bottom.

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

Did you know?

The effects of organophosphate poisoning are referred to by using the abbreviations “SLUD” or “SLUDGE,” It stands for: salivation, lacrimation, urination, defecation, GI upset, and emesis.

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library