Author Question: A patient tells the nurse, I don't know what to expect in the hospital. Everybody speaks ... (Read 23 times)

vicky

A patient tells the nurse, I don't know what to expect in the hospital. Everybody speaks medical-talk. Nobody tells me if I'm getting better or worse. Doctors march in and poke and prod me without asking my permission.

And another thing, I can't stay here forever; I have to look after my elderly mother. From these data the nurse can correctly determine that the patient is

a. experiencing a difficult transition to the patient role.
  b. unnecessarily sensitive to loss of independence.
  c. excessively fearful of unknown aspects of hospitalization.
  d. suffering from sensory overload.

Question 2

On which statement about life span communication differences can the nurse rely when implementing patient care?

a. Children from birth to age 2 are most soothed by a high-pitched tone of voice.
  b. Preschool children tend to respond well to a reasoning approach.
  c. It is important to try to communicate with teens using their slang.
  d. Elderly people hear lower frequency sounds more easily than high-pitched sounds.

Ahnyah

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
The patient is voicing concerns typical of someone experiencing negative aspects of role transition. Nothing is familiar, the patient feels left out, lacks privacy, and has a major personal concern regarding the elderly mother. The patient's reactions would be considered normal. The patient is not demonstrating excessive fear. The patient's complaints are not consistent with sensory overload.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Elderly people lose the ability to hear high-frequency sounds but are often able to hear lower frequency sounds. Using a low voice register will be more helpful than pitching the voice in the higher registers. Children from birth to age 2 are soothed by low-pitched voices. Preschool children have immature reasoning skills. Use of slang with teenagers is ill-advised, because meanings change with great speed.