This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which statements would the nurse evaluate as suggesting that the patient's decision has not been ... (Read 21 times)

strangeaffliction

Which statements would the nurse evaluate as suggesting that the patient's decision has not been autonomous? (Select all that apply.)

a. I wish I knew for sure that I had all the facts about the treatment.
  b. I thought through all the alternatives.
  c. My son told me emphatically what he thought would be best for the family.
  d. I am going to refuse to take the treatment because it will prolong life.

Question 2

Which nursing actions are examples of use of the ethical principle of beneficence? (Select all that apply)

a. The LPN/LVN tells a patient to ask for a second doctor's opinion.
  b. The LPN/LVN provides emotional support when the patient cries.
  c. The LPN/LVN places the bed in a low position before leaving the room.
  d. The LPN/LVN places medication the patient brought from home at the nurses' station.
  e. The LPN/LVN provides report for the staff of the oncoming shift.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

pami445

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, C
Autonomy means being free to choose. The statement, I wish I knew for sure that I had all the facts about the treatment, suggests that the patient may not have had all the relevant facts. The statement, My son told me emphatically what he thought would be best for the family, suggests undue influence from the family. Thinking through all the facts is part of autonomous decision making, as is acting on one's personal decision.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B, C, D
Beneficence means to do good. It also involves preventing harm, removing harm, and putting the patient's interests first.

strangeaffliction

Reply 2 on: Jul 17, 2018
Wow, this really help

Joy Chen

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

It is believed that humans initially contracted crabs from gorillas about 3 million years ago from either sleeping in gorilla nests or eating the apes.

Did you know?

To prove that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not by stress, a researcher consumed an entire laboratory beaker full of bacterial culture. After this, he did indeed develop stomach ulcers, and won the Nobel Prize for his discovery.

Did you know?

Pink eye is a term that refers to conjunctivitis, which is inflammation of the thin, clear membrane (conjunctiva) over the white part of the eye (sclera). It may be triggered by a virus, bacteria, or foreign body in the eye. Antibiotic eye drops alleviate bacterial conjunctivitis, and antihistamine allergy pills or eye drops help control allergic conjunctivitis symptoms.

Did you know?

Medication errors are more common among seriously ill patients than with those with minor conditions.

Did you know?

Stroke kills people from all ethnic backgrounds, but the people at highest risk for fatal strokes are: black men, black women, Asian men, white men, and white women.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library