This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nursing assistant tells the nurse, I'm feeling negative about my job and just about everything ... (Read 21 times)

Yolanda

A nursing assistant tells the nurse, I'm feeling negative about my job and just about everything else these days. Like today, I found myself feeling angry with Mrs. X. because she's overweight.

I felt like telling her if she didn't eat so much, she'd make my life a lot easier. I need a vacation or a new job. The nurse can correctly determine that the nursing assistant is experiencing feelings associated with

a. spitefulness.
  b. home conflicts.
  c. burnout.
  d. detachment.

Question 2

A student nurse tells a peer, I find myself constantly thinking about patient X and the problems she's experiencing. Sometimes, it makes me want to cry. If only I had a magic wand and could make things better for her

The peer to whom this is revealed can correctly determine that the student nurse is experiencing

a. empathy for the patient.
  b. sympathy for the patient.
  c. therapeutic involvement.
  d. burnout.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Pswine

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Lack of caring about patients, blaming patients for their illnesses, and negative self-views are danger signals of burnout. The scenario describes more than spitefulness; it is not suggestive of home conflicts; and it does not suggest detachment.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The student nurse describes feelings of sympathy and overinvolvement. Empathy is a respectful, objective concern. Therapeutic involvement suggests overinvolvement, which is not therapeutic. The statements made in the scenario do not constitute burnout; however, sympathetic responses by nurses leave them vulnerable to burnout.

Yolanda

Reply 2 on: Jul 17, 2018
Gracias!

pratush dev

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Human kidneys will clean about 1 million gallons of blood in an average lifetime.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

It is widely believed that giving a daily oral dose of aspirin to heart attack patients improves their chances of survival because the aspirin blocks the formation of new blood clots.

Did you know?

People who have myopia, or nearsightedness, are not able to see objects at a distance but only up close. It occurs when the cornea is either curved too steeply, the eye is too long, or both. This condition is progressive and worsens with time. More than 100 million people in the United States are nearsighted, but only 20% of those are born with the condition. Diet, eye exercise, drug therapy, and corrective lenses can all help manage nearsightedness.

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library