Author Question: When negative or hostile conversation occurs, which of the following actions is most appropriate? ... (Read 23 times)

michelleunicorn

When negative or hostile conversation occurs, which of the following actions is most appropriate?

Respond immediately to what is said.
  Always stop and listen rather than responding.
  React forcefully and negatively to what has been said.
  Be reactive rather than proactive.

Question 2

The physician stands in the hallway speaking to the nurses in a loud voice saying, I don't know why you nurses don't follow the orders I've written. Can't you read? Which response by the nurse demonstrates assertiveness? (Select all that apply)

You're such a jerk. Lower your voice
  We are all professionals here and there is no need to shout.
  I know you're angry but your behavior is inappropriate.
  If you would like to discuss the problem professionally we'll be glad to listen.
  If you treat your wife like this I know why you're getting a divorce.

moormoney

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
Stopping and listening is important because it allows the person to step back and think about what is being said. Reacting immediately is either going to be fight or flight and neither is helpful. Stopping and listening in this situation also indicates respect for the other person.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 2, 3, 4
We are all professionals here and there is no need to shout, I know you're angry but your behavior is inappropriate, and If you would like to discuss the problem professionally we'll be glad to listen are all statements that are assertive without being aggressive or passive.