This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: George is a seventeen year-old who is very comfortable with his ethnic and cultural background. His ... (Read 118 times)

michelleunicorn

George is a seventeen year-old who is very comfortable with his ethnic and cultural background. His parents are from Greece and speak very little English. When George first moved to the United States in eighth grade, he had an accent when he spoke English, and he wasn't sure whether to talk about his Greek roots or hide from them. Now George's English is almost flawless, and he enjoys telling his friends what words mean in Greek. He often shares stories and memories from his childhood experiences growing up in a town a few miles from Athens. Using Jean Phinney's 3-stage model of ethnic identity formation, describe George's stage of ethnic identity.

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

Explain the difference between foreclosure and moratorium in James Marcia's theory of identity status. Give an example of an adolescent who foreclosed on his or her career identity. Give an example of an adolescent who is in moratorium in her romantic relationship.

What will be an ideal response?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

lgoldst9

Answer to Question 1

According to Phinney, children progress through the ethnic identity stages of unexamined and moratorium (or search), as they approach achieved or committed. By late adolescence, most individuals reach the committed stage, which can be observed in their strong feelings of affirmation and belonging to their ethnic group. George is in the achieved or committed stage. He is secure in his personal, social, and ethnic identity. He is not searching for his ethnic identity or trying to hide it. He embraces it, telling stories and using his knowledge of the Greek language.

Answer to Question 2

At the core of Marcia's theory of identity status are the dimensions of exploration and commitment. Exploration refers to the extent to which the individual has considered alternative options, beliefs, values, or behaviors in an effort to determine which ones will give him/her the most satisfaction. Commitment refers to the individual's choices concerning his/her beliefs and values and level of conviction to these choices. An adolescent who is foreclosed in his or her career choice has made a strong commitment to the choice, but has not invested in exploration of alternative options. One example of foreclosure is the individual who says, I always knew I would become an accountant. Just like my parents, I majored in accounting in college and it is all I ever thought about doing with my life. Individuals in moratorium are still exploring and experimenting with their behaviors, values, and beliefs, but they have not yet made a commitment. For example, a teenage girl may be in a relationship with a boy but recognize that she is not ready to make a commitment. Even though she continues her romantic relationship, she wants to keep her options open. She may not want to commit to one person until later in adulthood.

michelleunicorn

Reply 2 on: Jun 20, 2018
:D TYSM

Viet Thy

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

When blood is exposed to air, it clots. Heparin allows the blood to come in direct contact with air without clotting.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms of a drug overdose include losing consciousness, fever or sweating, breathing problems, abnormal pulse, and changes in skin color.

Did you know?

Alzheimer's disease affects only about 10% of people older than 65 years of age. Most forms of decreased mental function and dementia are caused by disuse (letting the mind get lazy).

Did you know?

Alcohol acts as a diuretic. Eight ounces of water is needed to metabolize just 1 ounce of alcohol.

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library