Author Question: Devastated by a divorce from an abusive husband, a wife completes grief counseling. Which statement ... (Read 38 times)

berenicecastro

Devastated by a divorce from an abusive husband, a wife completes grief counseling. Which statement by the wife should indicate to a nurse that the client is in the acceptance stage of grief?

A. If only we could have tried again, things might have worked out.
  B. I am so mad that the children and I had to put up with him as long as we did.
  C. Yes, it was a difficult relationship, but I think I have learned from the experience.
  D. I still don't have any appetite and continue to lose weight.

Question 2

When under stress, a client routinely uses an excessive amount of alcohol. Finding her drunk, her husband yells at her about the chronic alcohol abuse. Which reaction should the nurse recognize as the use of the defense mechanism of denial?

A. Hiding liquor bottles in a closet
  B. Yelling at their son for slouching in his chair
  C. Burning dinner on purpose
  D. Saying to the spouse, I don't drink too much

SVictor

Answer to Question 1

C
The nurse should recognize that the client is in the acceptance stage of grief. During this stage of the grief process, the client would be able to focus on the reality of the loss and its meaning in relation to life.

Answer to Question 2

D
The nurse should associate the client statement I don't drink too much with the use of the defense mechanism of denial. The client who refuses to acknowledge the existence of a real situation and the feelings associated with it is using the defense mechanism of denial.