Author Question: The client states, I get into trouble because I respond violently without thinking. That usually ... (Read 79 times)

wrbasek0

The client states, I get into trouble because I respond violently without thinking. That usually gets me into a mess. Which nursing reply would be most therapeutic to address this client's problem?

A. Everybody loses their temper. It's good that you know that about yourself.
  B. I'll bet you have some interesting stories to share about overreacting.
  C. Let's explore methods to help you stop and think before taking action.
  D. It's good that you are showing readiness for behavioral change.

Question 2

The nurse observes a client's escalating anger. The client begins to pace the hall and shouts, You all better watch out. I'm going to hurt anyone who gets in my way. Which should be the priority nursing intervention?

A. Calmly tell the client, Staff will help you to control your impulse to hurt others.
  B. Remove other clients from the area and maintain milieu safety.
  C. Gather a show of force by contacting security for assistance.
  D. Calmly tell the client, You will need to be medicated and secluded.

nekcihc358

Answer to Question 1

C
Helping the client to find alternative ways to release tension by more appropriate problem-solving behaviors is a therapeutic nursing intervention.

Answer to Question 2

B
During an emergent situation on an inpatient unit, the nurse's priority action should be to keep all clients safe by removing them from the area of conflict.