This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is experiencing auditory hallucinations. Using a cognitive strategy, the nurse would ... (Read 34 times)

naturalchemist

A client is experiencing auditory hallucinations. Using a cognitive strategy, the nurse would encourage the client to do which of these?

A. Try singing Happy Birthday until the voices are gone.
  B. Document what the voices are saying, to note cause and effect.
  C. Try listening to music using headphones for distraction.
  D. Remind yourself that the voices are symptoms of your disease.

Question 2

A client recovering from alcohol toxicity is using minimization. Which statement reflects this cognitive distortion?

A. I can't give up alcohol right now because I just gave up smoking.
  B. I just read that red wine has health benefits.
  C. I may have a minor problem, but I can handle it.
  D. I don't drink as much as my wife, and nobody thinks she has a problem.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Eunice618

Answer to Question 1

D
The focus of cognitive therapy is on the modification of distorted cognitions and maladaptive behaviors.

Answer to Question 2

C
The statement I may have a minor problem, but I can handle it is an example of the use of the cognitive distortion of minimization. Minimization is the undervaluing of the positive significance of an event.

Did you know?

Aspirin may benefit 11 different cancers, including those of the colon, pancreas, lungs, prostate, breasts, and leukemia.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

The ratio of hydrogen atoms to oxygen in water (H2O) is 2:1.

Did you know?

Asthma-like symptoms were first recorded about 3,500 years ago in Egypt. The first manuscript specifically written about asthma was in the year 1190, describing a condition characterized by sudden breathlessness. The treatments listed in this manuscript include chicken soup, herbs, and sexual abstinence.

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library