Author Question: An advanced practice nurse recommends that a client participate in cognitive therapy. The client ... (Read 83 times)

An advanced practice nurse recommends that a client participate in cognitive therapy. The client asks, What's cognitive therapy and how can it help me? Which is the nurse's most appropriate reply?

A. It is a system of techniques in which you use positive thinking to improve your mood.
  B. It is a long-term interpersonal approach that emphasizes the role of early childhood experiences.
  C. It is an interpersonal treatment approach that specifically targets magical thinking.
  D. It is a type of psychotherapy that focuses treatment on the modification of distorted thinking and maladaptive behaviors.

Question 2

A nursing student states, The instructor gave me a failing grade on my research paper. I know it's because the instructor doesn't like me. Which cognitive error does a nurse recognize in this student's statement?

A. Dichotomous thinking
  B. Catastrophic thinking
  C. Magnification
  D. Overgeneralization

vboyd24

Answer to Question 1

D
Cognitive therapy is meant to be a time-limited intervention in which the therapist works in collaboration with the client to modify thinking to eliminate cognitive errors that reinforce emotional disturbances.

Answer to Question 2

C
In magnification, negative events are exaggerated. It is irrational to assume that there is a relationship between failing a paper and being personally disliked by the instructor.