Author Question: The nurse is talking with the friend of a client with alcoholism. The friend tells the nurse that ... (Read 41 times)

Frost2351

The nurse is talking with the friend of a client with alcoholism. The friend tells the nurse that his relationship with the client was codependent and enabling. Which of the following is an example of codependent behavior?

A) The friend called Alcoholics Anonymous when the client expressed a need to stop drinking.
  B) The friend called the client every night to make sure he got home safely and went looking for him if he was not at home.
  C) The friend confronted the client on the effect of his drinking on their relationship.
  D) The friend refused to go out drinking with the client to celebrate the client's birthday.

Question 2

Which client statement expresses a typical underlying feeling of clients diagnosed with major depressive disorder?

A. It's just a matter of time and I will be well.
  B. If I ignore these feelings, they will go away.
  C. I can fight these feelings and overcome this disorder.
  D. Nothing will help me feel better.

akudia

Answer to Question 1

B
Feedback: Codependent behavior appears helpful on the surface but actually prolongs the drinking behavior. Answers A, C, and D are not examples of codependent behavior.

Answer to Question 2

D
Hopelessness and helplessness are typical symptoms of clients diagnosed with major depressive disorder.