This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client diagnosed with bipolar disorder states, I hate oatmeal. Let's get everybody together to do ... (Read 31 times)

B

A client diagnosed with bipolar disorder states, I hate oatmeal. Let's get everybody together to do exercises. I'm thirsty and I'm burning up. Get out of my way; I have to see that guy. What should be the priority nursing action?

A. Assess the client's vital signs.
  B. Offer to have the dietitian discuss food preferences.
  C. Encourage the client to lead the exercise program in the community meeting.
  D. Acknowledge the client briefly and then walk away.

Question 2

A client on an inpatient unit is diagnosed with bipolar disorder: manic episode. During a discussion in the dayroom about weekend activities, the client raises his voice, becomes irritable, and insists that plans change.

What should be the nurse's initial intervention? A. Ask the group to take a vote on alternative weekend events.
  B. Remind the client to quiet down or leave the dayroom.
  C. Assist the client to move to a calmer location.
  D. Discuss with the client impulse control problems.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

irishcancer18

Answer to Question 1

A
When assessing a client diagnosed with bipolar disorder, the nurse should not lose sight of the fact that co-occurring physical problems could be masked by hyperactive, manic, or both behaviors. The client's statement of I'm thirsty and I'm burning up could be a symptom of either infection or dehydration and must be assessed.

Answer to Question 2

C
During a manic episode, the client experiences increased agitation and extreme hyperactivity that can lead to a risk for injury. Overstimulation can exacerbate these symptoms. Therefore, the nurse's initial action should focus on removing the client from the stimulating environment to a calmer location.

B

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

triiciiaa

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions cause a higher risk of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Did you know?

When intravenous medications are involved in adverse drug events, their harmful effects may occur more rapidly, and be more severe than errors with oral medications. This is due to the direct administration into the bloodstream.

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library