Author Question: A client with a history of alcohol abuse is participating in a 12-step Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) ... (Read 37 times)

asmith134

A client with a history of alcohol abuse is participating in a 12-step Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) program. The nurse determines that the client is at step two when he states which of the following?

A) I've admitted to myself and others the wrongdoings I've done.
  B) I realize that there is a higher power that can help me.
  C) I know now that I am powerless over alcohol.
  D) I am making amends to all those that I've harmed.

Question 2

A client diagnosed with paranoid personality disorder becomes violent on a unit. Which nursing intervention is most appropriate?

A. Provide objective evidence that violence is unwarranted.
  B. Initially restrain the client to maintain safety.
  C. Use clear, calm statements and a confident physical stance.
  D. Empathize with the client's paranoid perceptions.

Meganchabluk

Answer to Question 1

B

Answer to Question 2

C
The most appropriate nursing intervention is to use clear, calm statements and to assume a confident physical stance. A calm attitude avoids escalating the aggressive behavior and provides the client with a feeling of safety and security. It may also be beneficial to have sufficient staff on hand to present a show of strength.