Author Question: During a regular home health visit to an elderly client, the nurse observes that the client has ... (Read 23 times)

serike

During a regular home health visit to an elderly client, the nurse observes that the client has feelings of hopelessness and despair.

The client says, I'm old and my life has no purpose anymore. But promise me you won't tell anyone. How should the nurse respond?
  A) Don't worry, I won't tell anyone else.
  B) I'm sorry, but I can't keep that kind of secret.
  C) Let's talk about something to cheer you up.
  D) What can we do to help you feel better?

Question 2

When assessing a client with depression, the client states, I just feel so sad and hopeless. I just don't care anymore. I don't even enjoy doing the crossword puzzles like I used to.

The nurse documents this finding as indicative of which of the following?
  A) Dysthymic disorder
  B) Anhedonia
  C) Delusion
  D) Psychosis

tandmlomax84

Answer to Question 1

B
Feedback: Keeping secrets with a client is not permissible, especially when the client's safety is concerned. Answers A, C, and D are inappropriate responses in this situation.

Answer to Question 2

C