Author Question: An adolescent currently being treated for aggressive behavior says, I need to tell you something ... (Read 14 times)

Diane

An adolescent currently being treated for aggressive behavior says, I need to tell you something very important, but first you have to promise not to tell anyone else.. Which communication by the nurse would be most therapeutic?

a. As you know nurses are obligated to document patient conversations, but I can be trusted not to tell anyone else but staff what you share with me..
  b. A nurse has a sacred responsibility to advocate for our patients, and I have taken an oath to maintain the confidentiality of all my patients..
  c. I am very discrete when it comes to issues my patients discuss with me when they consider the topics to be serious or important..
  d. I will always maintain your confidence except when I think that what you tell me might place you or others in danger..

Question 2

A patient who is acutely psychotic and withdrawn claims to be a robot. An early intervention designed to help this patient expand self-awareness would be to:

a. confirm the patient's identity.
  b. set up a daily schedule for the patient.
  c. introduce the patient to two other withdrawn patients.
  d. explain to the patient the need to express feelings more openly.

nanny

Answer to Question 1

D
The nurse has a duty to report any information that is provided that could present danger to the patients themselves or to others.

Answer to Question 2

A
The first step in expanding self-awareness may be to confirm the identity of a patient with limited ego resources.