Author Question: An adolescent says, What am I supposed to do? My parents are so strict. They never let me do ... (Read 29 times)

bb

An adolescent says, What am I supposed to do? My parents are so strict. They never let me do anything or go anywhere with my friends.. Which nursing intervention would be most effective?

a. To determine the extent of the countertransference, ask the adolescent, Why do you think a nurse could help?
  b. Maintain a balanced stance with the adolescent, but plan to teach the parents to gradually allow for independence.
  c. To establish trust, tell the adolescent that the nurse will strongly encourage the parents to allow more opportunities for independence.
  d. In order to encourage dialogue, ask the adolescent to provide specific examples and situations in which the parents acted strictly.

Question 2

Which individual is most in need of measures to reduce the risk for self-concept disturbance associated with health-illness transition?

a. A 15-year-old with Crohn disease who states, An ileostomy will mean I won't be able to do stuff with my friends..
  b. An 18-year-old with an above-the-knee double amputation who states, I guess I'll be a wheelchair athlete instead of a marathon runner..
  c. A 30-year-old with blindness caused by glaucoma who states, My spouse will help me learn Braille..
  d. A 52-year-old with breast cancer who states, My life is more valuable than any body part..

kilada

Answer to Question 1

D
Adolescents can exaggerate situations and issues and often need time and perspective to view issues more objectively. By helping the adolescent view the issues more dispassionately, the nurse will assist him or her to problem solve more effectively and to begin to view issues from the parents' perspective as well.

Answer to Question 2

A
Each patient described faces threats to security, self-control, and wholeness. However, the 15-year-old's perception of the change is the most negative and potentially jeopardizes relationships with peers, thus having a negative effect on self-esteem.