Author Question: A parent calls the school nurse to say, My teenager got a forearm tattoo without my permission and ... (Read 26 times)

wrbasek0

A parent calls the school nurse to say, My teenager got a forearm tattoo without my permission and won't be returning to school. We will educate our child at home, away from all the evil influences at your institution..

Which is the most appropriate initial action for a school nurse to take? a. Report the parent's comments to the school guidance counselor.
  b. Invite the parent to meet with the nurse and guidance counselor.
  c. Educate the parent that to some people a tattoo is considered body art..
  d. Share with the parent that many students get tattoos as a sign of independence.

Question 2

A nurse is caring for a patient diagnosed with extreme stress. The nurse is focusing interventions on the promotion of adaptive psychophysiological patient responses. Which intervention is included in the plan of care?

a. Monitoring the patient's medication
  b. Monitoring the patient's physical health
  c. Shifting the patient's attention away from the symptoms
  d. Providing education to promote change in the patient's health practices

LVPMS

Answer to Question 1

B
The parent is upset because she equates the tattoo with negative aspects of growth and may not know that a tattoo is often considered no worse than piercing one's ears to many individuals. Although the parent may elect to educate the child at home, such an approach may fail if it lacks the proper purpose for its implementation. Persuading the parent to come in and see the nurse and counselor will help her to problem solve more effectively and view the tattoo in a healthier perspective.

Answer to Question 2

D
One of the most important ways of promoting adaptive psychophysiological responses involves changing health habits. People who adopt positive health practices and good health measures can prevent biopsychosocial illnesses.