This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: You are working with a client who has many of the symptoms of cataplexy. Which of the following ... (Read 9 times)

kshipps

You are working with a client who has many of the symptoms of cataplexy. Which of the following questions would you ask this client about her experience, which she describes as a collapsing spell, to determine if it was cataplexy?

a. Did you stop breathing?
  b. Were you aware of your surroundings?
  c. Would you describe it as a blackout?
  d. Did other people witness the event?

Question 2

Which statement by a child best indicates the child may be experiencing symptoms of depression?

a. I don't like to play outside. Besides, I've got so much homework and my parents expect me to be a good student..
  b. I have some friends at school but there's no one my age who lives in my neighborhood. I watch television and play with my video games..
  c. I've got some friends, but they are older than me. Sometimes we play together but not all the time since they want to do things I'm not old enough to do..
  d. I don't know; I don't think about school much. It's just a place I have to go every day. I guess it's alright. Some of the kids are nice, and I like the food..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

recede

Answer to Question 1

B
To determine if the client has cataplexy, the nurse should ask the client if he or she was aware of his or her surroundings during one of the collapsing spells. Cataplexy is defined as the sudden loss of muscle power at times of sudden emotion, often laughter or fear. These persons may drop things or even fall to the ground, but unlike a simple faint, they never lose consciousness during a cataleptic episode.

Answer to Question 2

D
Children with internalizing disorders such as depression are often the best informants about their affective states. Statements relating to the stressors such as so much homework are indicators of internalized stress that may be manifested as depression. The other options lack the cues that the client is experiencing stress.

kshipps

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

fatboyy09

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The largest baby ever born weighed more than 23 pounds but died just 11 hours after his birth in 1879. The largest surviving baby was born in October 2009 in Sumatra, Indonesia, and weighed an astounding 19.2 pounds at birth.

Did you know?

Though “Krazy Glue” or “Super Glue” has the ability to seal small wounds, it is not recommended for this purpose since it contains many substances that should not enter the body through the skin, and may be harmful.

Did you know?

The tallest man ever known was Robert Wadlow, an American, who reached the height of 8 feet 11 inches. He died at age 26 years from an infection caused by the immense weight of his body (491 pounds) and the stress on his leg bones and muscles.

Did you know?

Illicit drug use costs the United States approximately $181 billion every year.

Did you know?

The Food and Drug Administration has approved Risperdal, an adult antipsychotic drug, for the symptomatic treatment of irritability in children and adolescents with autism. The approval is the first for the use of a drug to treat behaviors associated with autism in children. These behaviors are included under the general heading of irritability and include aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library