This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client newly admitted to the behavioral medicine unit with a diagnosis of borderline personality ... (Read 21 times)

gonzo233

A client newly admitted to the behavioral medicine unit with a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder wants to continue watching TV in the community room when clients are supposed to be asleep in their rooms.

The client says to the nurse, This is my first night here. Can't you bend the rules just this one time? The MOST therapeutic response by the nurse would be to say: a. No, rules are rules.
  b. Let us spend a few minutes going over the rules of the unit.
  c. Yes, this one time only because this is your first night here.
  d. If it were up to me, it would be all right. I also like watching late-night TV.

Question 2

A patient diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) tells a nurse, I'm such a stupid person for behaving this way.. The most therapeutic nursing response would be to:

a. change the subject.
  b. agree that the behavior is problematic.
  c. ask about the feelings experienced before using the behavior.
  d. support the insight by asking for immediate behavioral change.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

amandalm

Answer to Question 1

B
The most therapeutic response by the nurse would be to review the unit rules with the client. The nurse should avoid taking a parental attitude reflected in saying, No, rules are rules. The nurse should not allow to manipulate her or express personal interest in late-night TV. The issue is that the unit rules refer to all.

Answer to Question 2

C
Helping the patient connect anxiety and the use of the symptom is an initial therapeutic step. The nurse acknowledges the patient's feeling, attempts to label it, helps the patient describe feelings, and associates them with the use of a specific behavioral pattern.

gonzo233

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

carojassy25

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness. As of yet, there is no cure. Everyone is at risk, and there may be no warning signs. It is six to eight times more common in African Americans than in whites. The best and most effective way to detect glaucoma is to receive a dilated eye examination.

Did you know?

Eating food that has been cooked with poppy seeds may cause you to fail a drug screening test, because the seeds contain enough opiate alkaloids to register as a positive.

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

The average office desk has 400 times more bacteria on it than a toilet.

Did you know?

Prostaglandins were first isolated from human semen in Sweden in the 1930s. They were so named because the researcher thought that they came from the prostate gland. In fact, prostaglandins exist and are synthesized in almost every cell of the body.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library