Author Question: A child confides to a nurse, My uncle tried to play with meyou know, fondle mewhen he picked me up ... (Read 15 times)

mrsjacobs44

A child confides to a nurse, My uncle tried to play with meyou know, fondle mewhen he picked me up after school. My parents will be upset if they find out. They'll blame me because I like it when he tickles me..

Which communication by the nurse would be the most therapeutic? a. You feel your parents will blame you rather than your uncle?
  b. I'd like for you to tell me more specifically what your uncle did to you..
  c. Don't be afraid; I'll be there to talk to your parents about what your uncle did..
  d. I'm sure your parents will believe you; they know you wouldn't lie about this..

Question 2

A patient experiences double approach-avoidance conflicts associated with the need to replace maladaptive behaviors with more adaptive behaviors. This tendency is exhibited when the patient:

a. wishes to both pursue and avoid the same goal.
  b. is required to choose between two undesirable goals.
  c. seeks to pursue two equally desirable but incompatible goals.
  d. sees both desirable and undesirable aspects of two alternatives.

joewallace

Answer to Question 1

B
The most therapeutic nursing intervention is the one that asks the child to discuss the incident more specifically.

Answer to Question 2

D
Double approach-avoidance conflicts result in experiencing both desirable and undesirable aspects of two alternatives. This dual emotional state is called ambivalence.