This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is planning to use Sigmund Freud's psychoanalytic approach with a client on his ... (Read 39 times)

Marty

The nurse is planning to use Sigmund Freud's psychoanalytic approach with a client on his psychiatric unit. He will operate on which one of the following assumptions?

a. Thinking is logical.
  b. Clients actively resist the process of repression.
  c. Sexual energy comes from the ego.
  d. All behavior has meaning.

Question 2

A client on a psychiatric unit complains to the night shift nurse that the nurses on the other shifts do not know how to help the clients nearly as well as the night shift nurse. The client urges the night shift nurse to switch to another shift.

The MOST therapeutic response from the night shift nurse would be to say: a. I'm not in control of the schedule. You'll need to talk to the head nurse about rearranging the staff schedule.
  b. It's funny you should tell me that; other clients have said the same thing to me. I guess I just have a knack for getting along well with others.
  c. I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe I can help the others do a better job so that you get more help on all of the shifts.
  d. All of the nurses here are very skilled and well trained. If you have something to say about a particular nurse, it would be best if you spoke directly to that nurse.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

beccamahon

Answer to Question 1

D
The nurse following Sigmund Freud's psychoanalytic approach with a client on a psychiatric unit will operate on the assumption that all behavior has meaning. The psychoanalytic approach focuses on uncovering unconscious memories and processes. Unconscious memories and processes stem from a childhood experience according to Freud. Experiences may have been good or bad. In either case they will affect an individual's future actions.

Answer to Question 2

D
The nurse should explain to the client that all nurses at the facility are very skilled and well trained. Furthermore, the nurse should instruct the client that if he has an issue with a particular nurse, it would be best if he brought that issue up directly with the nurse in question. The client's behavior is known as splitting. Clients with personality disorders have developed manipulative behaviors to get what they want from others. Such behaviors may include splitting, seduction, flattery, guilt instilling, and in some cases intimidation. The nurse should be aware of these tactics and take steps to prevent or reduce such behaviors.

Marty

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

at

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

About 600,000 particles of skin are shed every hour by each human. If you live to age 70 years, you have shed 105 pounds of dead skin.

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

It is important to read food labels and choose foods with low cholesterol and saturated trans fat. You should limit saturated fat to no higher than 6% of daily calories.

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

Did you know?

ACTH levels are normally highest in the early morning (between 6 and 8 A.M.) and lowest in the evening (between 6 and 11 P.M.). Therefore, a doctor who suspects abnormal levels looks for low ACTH in the morning and high ACTH in the evening.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library