Author Question: The multidisciplinary team is meeting to discuss discharge planning with the family of a patient who ... (Read 38 times)

Wadzanai

The multidisciplinary team is meeting to discuss discharge planning with the family of a patient who recently attempted suicide. Which statement by a family member might constitute criteria for delaying discharge?

a. The patient's spouse says, I'll be taking long weekends from now on so we'll not be apart so much..
  b. The patient's daughter asks, Do I keep it a secret that I miscarried my baby the day of the attempt?
  c. The patient's son says, If everyone thinks I'm going to make a fuss over this, they're wrong..
  d. The patient's father says, What can we do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

Question 2

A psychiatric nurse is assessing the family and home of a patient who is being discharged within the next few days from an inpatient unit. The assessment component with the highest priority is:

a. how the family members will make changes to meet the needs of the patient.
  b. the attitudes and feelings of family members toward the mentally ill member.
  c. how family members will cope with the responsibility of caring for the patient.
  d. who will be responsible for helping the client with his or her activities of daily living (ADLs).

Heffejeff

Answer to Question 1

B
From the time the patient is admitted, discharge planning begins. Discharge occurs when the patient is stabilized. If information that is highly volatile and a likely trigger is uncovered, this might be a consideration for delaying discharge until the patient is informed, the response to the information is assessed, coping skills are evaluated, and additional supports can be provided.

Answer to Question 2

B
The priority assessment is to determine the family's understanding and acceptance of the patient and the patient's mental illness. The remaining options are all of lesser priority since they are all based on the family's ability and willingness to support the patient.