This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient shares with a nurse, Since I moved from Florida to New York, I get depressed right before ... (Read 19 times)

kamilo84

A patient shares with a nurse, Since I moved from Florida to New York, I get depressed right before the winter holidays and it lasts for weeks. Is there anything I can do besides taking pills? The most therapeutic nursing response is:

a. Consider phototherapy since it's likely you are experiencing seasonal affective disorder (SAD)..
  b. I'm not clear about what you are saying. Please tell me more about what you are experiencing..
  c. If you have a biochemically based depression, you will need antidepressant medication if you want to see improvement..
  d. If you want dramatic results, ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) works the fastest and can usually be done on an outpatient basis..

Question 2

A patient is being treated for prostate cancer; his prognosis is very poor. The patient has a strong faith, and he has been active in his church for many years. He is concerned about his health and the challenges he faces as his cancer progresses.

Which comment by the nurse reflects the most appropriate spiritual nursing intervention for the patient?
  A) I'll take you to visit my church if you can get a pass.
  B) You have to belong to the same church I do if you're going to go to heaven.
  C) Would you like me to bring you a guided imagery audiotape?
  D) We can pray together if you'd like.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

braelync

Answer to Question 1

B
Phototherapy has been demonstrated to help patients affected by SAD. However, the question provides no information about whether the patient has been diagnosed with depression and little data about the clinical manifestations except that the patient speaks of having a depressed mood during the winter. Although much of this data fits SAD, it can fit other entities as well. The most therapeutic nursing intervention is the one that attempts to gather more baseline data from the patient rather than one that involves premature intervention.

Answer to Question 2

D

kamilo84

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

Dominic

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds caused by hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.

Did you know?

Bacteria have been found alive in a lake buried one half mile under ice in Antarctica.

Did you know?

People with high total cholesterol have about two times the risk for heart disease as people with ideal levels.

Did you know?

Vaccines cause herd immunity. If the majority of people in a community have been vaccinated against a disease, an unvaccinated person is less likely to get the disease since others are less likely to become sick from it and spread the disease.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are living longer, and causes of death are shifting. At the same time, autopsy rates are at or near their lowest in history.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library