This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient scheduled for an early-morning electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) treatment asks a nurse, Am ... (Read 45 times)

Mr3Hunna

A patient scheduled for an early-morning electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) treatment asks a nurse, Am I going to be able to eat breakfast before I go for ECT? Which response by the nurse is most appropriate?

a. No, but you can have your breakfast when you get back to the unit..
  b. You can have a light, liquid breakfast along with your medications..
  c. You may only have enough liquids before the procedure to swallow your allergy medications..
  d. Yes, but you need to get up early so you can fast for 2 to 4 hours before your ECT treatment begins..

Question 2

When providing education for families of mentally ill patients, the nurse realizes that which of the following organizations places the most importance on this intervention?

a. The Managed Care Association
  b. National Alliance on Mental Illness
  c. American Psychiatric Nurses Association
  d. New Freedom Commission on Mental Health

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ntsoane kedibone

Answer to Question 1

A
Patients who receive ECT treatment on an outpatient basis are asked to stay NPO for 6 to 8 hours before treatment to prevent aspiration from general anesthesia. If the patient is taking cardiac, antihypertensive, or H2 blocker medications, he or she may do so with a small sip of water several hours before the procedure. Food and liquids can be offered as soon as the patient is awake and can swallow effectively.

Answer to Question 2

D
The New Freedom Commission on Mental Health's report Achieving the Promise: Transforming Mental Health Care in America sites family involvement in the care of the mentally ill as a goal of treatment. While the other options are related to the care of the mentally ill, they are not as focused on family education as is the correct option.

Mr3Hunna

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

elyse44

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

About 100 new prescription or over-the-counter drugs come into the U.S. market every year.

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

Did you know?

Today, nearly 8 out of 10 pregnant women living with HIV (about 1.1 million), receive antiretrovirals.

Did you know?

Urine turns bright yellow if larger than normal amounts of certain substances are consumed; one of these substances is asparagus.

Did you know?

On average, someone in the United States has a stroke about every 40 seconds. This is about 795,000 people per year.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library