This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse facilitating a social skills group recognizes that one patient monopolizes the group. ... (Read 33 times)

kshipps

A nurse facilitating a social skills group recognizes that one patient monopolizes the group.

After the session the psychologist asks the nurse, Why did you let that patient monopolize the group? A response from the nurse using appropriate assertiveness would be: a. I didn't know what I was supposed to do. You could see how much the patient needed to control the meeting. So you don't think it was appropriate to let it be for today?
  b. I didn't let the patient monopolize the group. I wasn't sure if I ought to stop the behavior or let the patient talk. What could I have said to end the patient's monopolizing of the group?
  c. Honestly, I never feel you are satisfied with my work. Why don't you lead the group next time? That will give me an opportunity to observe you appropriately managing the patient's need to monopolize the group..
  d. I felt that the patient needed to express feelings and that the control was a rather tenuous one that required sensitivity and patience. I believe the other patients felt that, too, which is why they let the patient monopolize the group..

Question 2

Which is a suitable goal and expected outcome for a patient who is admitted for the recurrence of psychotic symptoms related to noncompliance with medication therapy?

a. Goal, safety; outcome, no risk for violence
  b. Goal, remission; outcome, symptom relief
  c. Goal, recovery; outcome, improved functioning
  d. Goal, rehabilitation; outcome, attain optimal quality of life

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Heffejeff

Answer to Question 1

B
The most assertive communication is the one that clarifies any misperceptions and seeks assistance in a direct manner. Rationalization is not professional. Patients will take their cue from the facilitator of the group. Becoming angry because the psychologist has constructively criticized the nurse's facilitation skills in dynamic supervision is aggressive.

Answer to Question 2

B
The goal of remission can probably be attained if the patient resumes medication therapy. The outcome of symptom relief will be attained during an acute, short-term stay.

kshipps

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

diana chang

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

Did you know?

The first monoclonal antibodies were made exclusively from mouse cells. Some are now fully human, which means they are likely to be safer and may be more effective than older monoclonal antibodies.

Did you know?

Human neurons are so small that they require a microscope in order to be seen. However, some neurons can be up to 3 feet long, such as those that extend from the spinal cord to the toes.

Did you know?

When blood is exposed to air, it clots. Heparin allows the blood to come in direct contact with air without clotting.

Did you know?

There are immediate benefits of chiropractic adjustments that are visible via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It shows that spinal manipulation therapy is effective in decreasing pain and increasing the gaps between the vertebrae, reducing pressure that leads to pain.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library